Pages

13 July 2013

Isn't It Funny to See How Things Turn Out?

William Arthur Ward once said "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; If you can dream it, you can become it."

One year ago, I was excited to be preparing myself for my first year of college and the "beginning of the rest of my life," as I so aptly called it in my head. I had this idea that once I left my house that August, I would never be returning to live there. Rather than return home for winter and summer breaks, I would spend my time studying abroad, taking summer classes, or volunteering abroad. I would only return home for Thanksgiving, and that would be that. The cycle would continue for the next four years until graduation, when I would find a job and an apartment.

But look where I am now: enrolled in a city school which I would be commuting to from home for the next four years.

No matter how many times I iterate Ward's quote, I can't help but think of the single obstacle that stands in my way: Money. If I could afford to buy a plane ticket to Paris, believe me, I would. I often find myself basking in overly ambitious plans that idealize the rest of my life. There are infinite ways to enjoy the time I get to spend on this earth, but are any of my grandeur schemes actually plausible?

I'm stuck in a rut. I barely pay attention to what my parents have to say, but when I do, it regards big things.
--Can I get an apartment with my friend in the city?
-No.
--Why not?
-We're poor.
I shouldn't be seeking my parent's approval, right? Wouldn't college be more fun spent living with your friends even though you're all dirt poor in comparison to living at home and commuting to school every day? I calculated how much time I would be spending with the MTA every month and it comes out to about 80 hours of commuting.

If I spent that 80 hours working near where I would potentially live by my school, I would be able to scrape enough to make rent with a roommate or two. Throw in a couple more working hours on the weekend, and I'd be able to afford food.

So what's stopping me?
I think it's society.

1 comment:

  1. Commuting isn't so bad :)

    Most of the people who live on or near campus wind up spending those extra 80 hours sleeping or sitting on the computer screwing around

    ReplyDelete