Pages

17 September 2012

Foggy Bottom

Went out to the river for our first actual team practice this morning! At 5 AM, it was 39 degrees and I am so glad my roommate reminded me to bring a jacket. On the way to the boathouse, the streets were sparsely lit and it was quite foggy so it felt like we were in a scary movie. "It's so spooky," I said, to which my experienced roommate responded "Oh, Novice." 

With the abundance of fog prevalent even after the sun rose, the morning was especially beautiful. There was a very serene and calming sense on the water that made everything all better. The water melded with the fog and the fog melded with the sky and everything came together. I wish I took a picture. Then there was a beautiful moment just after the sun had risen where the mountains were behind a thick wall of fog and it was just so cool.

Today I spent practice in the launch boats with the assistant coach while following the Lynn and its two sets of rowers. Thank god for the coxswain jackets, it was frigid on the launches. Tomorrow, I am wearing an eskimo suit. And now that we're heading into winter, it will only get colder.

Observing the other coxswains was interesting. I learned from their methods and now I have a better sense of what makes a good coxswain.

When I got home and breakfasted, I couldn't feel the tips of my fingers though. And by the time I got to my room, I lost feeling in my feet. Hot breakfast tomorrow. Hot showers are nice, too. Mom, if you're reading this, please send my ski jackets down up with Elaine. They're hanging in the closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment