Pages

08 September 2012

The Weekend

I'm a city kid. Born in a city, grew up in a city, went to school in a city, and I never imagined myself living anywhere else besides a city. So what the heck am I doing in "No-Man's Land", MA? Here in South Hadley, the supermarket is a mile away, the closest Staples is 6 miles away, the movie theatre across the street only shows 2 or 3 movies at a time, and the closest thing we have to public transportation is the PVTA. The funny thing is that back home, I despised taking MTA buses. Even though the Q16 was the most accessible way to get to the train, I just had to suck it up and endure the lengthy ride. Now taking buses is the only way to get to vaguely interesting places unless you have a car (which I don't).

So here I am in "No-Man's Land" and I miss the Starbucks on every street corner. I miss the archetypal New Yorker attitude and the all-black blurs of people walking a million miles an hour. I miss being able to walk from Central Park to Bryant Park to Heralds Square to Madison Square Park to Union Square to Chelsea Market to the Highline. I miss Shake Shack and fashionable discount stores, H&M and Chipotle, and I cannot describe how much I want to eat thai.

This won't be a very eventful weekend. I went to the initial meeting for the Mount Holyoke chapter of Her Campus and it was snoozeballs. Not particularly enthusiastic about it, but it'll give me something to think about when I'm bored out of my mind (like now!). Plus, the rain is being particularly entrapping. Maybe I'll start in my homework... later. I also think this school would be a lot more fun if there were males. Just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment