Pages

04 September 2013

You know what the Triangle of Truth* is, right? Here are three things: You can only pick two. You know what I'm talking about, I know you do.

Whoever created this should correct their syntax and obviously chose social life & sleep.
Well anyway, naïve Julia thought that she could successfully maintain life as an architecture student with all three attributes. In my mind, the Triangle of Truth is between Sleep, Grades, and Fun. Obviously, sleep accounts for the number of hours of sleep I can get/how well rested I am. Grades accounts for all the work that I have to accomplish in order to get excellent grades (I'm shooting for all As, but it's too soon to tell). This also includes all the architorture work I have to do (bleh). Then fun is a very, very big folder of all the fun things I could be doing instead of working or sleeping. This includes, but is not limited to, watching TV, socializing, or any other activity that is considered leisurely or enjoyable.

Thankfully, I haven't fallen victim to the woes of the Triangle too severely. In fact, today I decided to sit through nearly the entirety of four consecutive Harry Potter movies despite having things to do. And my very impressive streak of going to bed around this time (midnight) is now over. Long live a good night's sleep.

It's needless to say that I will be considerably unsocial in a social kind of way. Hours worth of work at the studio will be spent with a dozen other poor children. We'll all be suffering together. I think that's what everyone meant by "studio culture." Studio culture consists of regular caffeine infusions, group naps, sleepovers, blade cuts, graphite smudges, amongst other things.

Nevertheless, studio culture is one of my favorite things about being in architecture school. Everyone is laboring, working hard, and applying every iota of effort to accomplish something that could be great. There's a lot of potential in architecture school, I think. What matters is whether or not someone can apply themselves and achieve that potential. Good things don't come easily.

Over and out.

*I did not realize that "Triangle of Truth" was the actual name for the triangle. I took a stab at it, looked it up to see if it was accurate, and voila! I was really surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment